What is sand stone?
Sandstone is a sedimentary rock formed from sand. If the size of the sand is small, it is called sandstone, and if the size of sand is coarse, it is called conglomerate. This stone has a beautiful and extraordinary appearance. Some of these stones have a wood-like design and others have a cream color that reminds of the wave of golden deserts.
How sandstone is formed
This sedimentary rock is formed by the deposition of sand along with quartz, feldspar, clay, silica and iron oxide. Some sandstones contain more than 90% quartz, which are called quartz sandstones. Sandstone rocks are formed from the compaction of sand deposits in rivers and deserts. The minerals in each region are involved in the color of sandstone, for example, red sandstone is formed in the southwest of America. Sandstone stone processing is sanded, leather, bush hammer and guillotine.
After cutting and processing these stones, grooves are created on the surface of the stone, which has made these stones look like wood.
Characteristics of sandstone
Since sand is made up of light-colored minerals. Sandstone stones have a light brown and tan color. Red streaks can be seen in some sandstones, which is due to the presence of iron oxide in these stones. Some sandstones also have blue and gray colors.
Among the salient features of sandstone, the following can be mentioned:
- Reasonable price considering the design and beautiful color of this stone
- Very low adhesion, to solve this issue, a scoop should be used.
- High resistance to cold and heat
- Low sandability and polishability due to the presence of clay minerals
- Low bending strength
- High water absorption
- Lack of resistance to acidic substances
- Due to its sandy nature, sandstone has a rough texture.
- The chemical properties of sandstones are different from each other. Siliceous sandstones are resistant to acid, but calcareous sandstones react in acidic environments.
- Sandstone stones are hard to cut due to the presence of silica element. Many segments are used to cut this stone.
- Interior walls of the building
- Stone facade
- Use as slabs in the facade of the building
- Crushed use in the construction of roads and bridges
- courtyard wall
- Sharpening knives and scissors
- Body stone outside
- Stair cover
- The space of the area
Advantages and disadvantages of sandstone
Among the advantages of sandstone, the following can be mentioned:
- Beautiful design and color of Sandstone
- Resistance to heat and cold
- Resistance to weathering and freezing
- The price is right
- Good bending strength
- One of the advantages of this stone compared to natural wood is its durability and longevity.
- Sandstones have a natural appearance.
Among the disadvantages of sandstone, the following can be mentioned:
- High absorption of water in sandstone
- Low adhesion with mortar, which caused the use of a scope clamp.
- high porosity
- High water absorption
- If this stone is exposed to sunlight for a long time, it will become moldy.
There is no variety of sandstone stones in Iran and there are only two types of wood and wood design, so it will not be difficult to know the price of these stones. To buy sandstone, pay attention to the following:
- The height of the stone
- Quality and accuracy in cutting
- Stone processing quality
- Stone sorting
- The thickness of the rock
Types of sandstone
Sandstone stones, like other stones, have a wide variety, such as axe, bush hammer, leather, windbreaker, guillotine, silica, dolomite, iron oxide, and lime. We will describe some of these stones below:
Limestone sandstone stones have a light and whitish color and have little resistance to acid. In this type of rock, the percentage of calcium carbonate is very high.
Iron oxide sandstone
Iron oxide sandstone stones have brown and red color and have a very high resistance due to the presence of iron oxide.
Silicic sandstone stones have a gray background and are resistant to acid. The name of these stones is due to the presence of silica element in the structure of this stone.
Dolomite sandstone has a pea color. This stone has low resistance. Dolomite sandstone is composed of magnesium carbonate and calcium carbonate.